Skip to Content

Dangerous Foods for Your Dog – Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat Because They Are Toxic and Dangerous

Is it difficult for you to resist sharing your food with your dog while you’re eating? We’ve collected a list of dangerous foods for your dog that people enjoy but should not be shared with your dog.

Dangerous Foods for Your Dog

Chocolate 

You’ve probably heard not to offer your dog chocolate for years and wondered if it was just an old wives’ tale. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Chocolate contains methylxanthines, a poisonous chemical that is OK for humans but causes a halt in the metabolic process in dogs. 

Don’t feel awful about indulging in all that chocolate. Even a tiny amount of chocolate, particularly dark chocolate, can produce diarrhea and vomiting. If your dog consumes an excessive amount, he or she may experience seizures, irregular cardiac function, and, in difficult situations, death.

Eggs

Do you adore eggs from your head to your toes? You may adore them, but they are not good for your dog if they are raw. Fully cooked eggs can ease your pet’s upset tummy. On the other hand, Raw egg whites will cause your dog to be deficient in biotin.

Allium Plants

Garlic, onions, leeks, and chives are all Allium family members. Allium plants on this list are five times more poisonous to dogs than other Allium plants. 

Garlic has the potential to cause anemia in dogs and other negative symptoms such as pale gums, a rapid heart rate, weakness, and collapsing. Expect delayed symptoms if your dog has eaten garlic or onions. We recommend that you keep a close eye on your pet for a few days.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins, which are easy to eat, can cause your dog poisoning, kidney damage, and liver failure. It can be dangerous and even lethal if taken in small quantities. It is still being researched to determine which chemical in grapes is responsible for the hazardous reaction.

Avocado

Avocado can cause mild stomach discomfort in dogs and cats, but it is lethal to birds.

You can contact various phone numbers if you feel your pet has consumed any of these toxic foods. You should have the phone number of your primary veterinarian, the number of the closest Animal Emergency Center for after-hours problems, and the number of Animal Poison Control.